Friday 19 May 2017

Seaside Inspiration for Jewellery Designs - May 2017


Earlier last month the sun was shining in its hazy early-spring way and I went down to the sea. The water was calm and gentle, the beach mostly empty except for a few fishermen. We sat on some rocks exposed by the low tide, and I took some photos of the colours and shapes we saw.

A curving line of shingle against the sea as you look up the beach

The curl of the beach, where the sea was slowly moving the shingle, was a nice reminder of the curves I like to put in silver wire. The rhythm of the water moving along the shoreline was hypnotic and quite beautiful.

Limpets on a beach rock

The rocks we sat on to bask in the sunshine were, on closer examination, half covered with tiny limpets, waiting for the sea to return. The texture, and strength, of these tiny creatures was easily felt under my careful fingers. I'm pretty sure I didn't squash any although I only discovered them after we sat down...

Tiny limpets on a rock still damp from the tide going out

Simple shapes in jewellery often work the best, as in nature. The cone-shape of the limpets is both strong and elegant. The colours of the shells blended in with the rocks and seemed almost a part of them until we looked closer.

Simplicity equals strength seemed to be the design message from the seaside. Gentle curves and natural movements. Jewellery, like nature, doesn't need to shout to be noticed.

Do you find inspiration in simple shapes or do more complex ones challenge you? Do leave a comment if you like, I'd love to hear what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I tend to go for simple shapes then add some detail for interest. I see you have a shingle beach like here in Eastbourne :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to trip over yourself, I think, with more complex shapes and lose the focal point of the jewellery. Your work is a wonderful example of the less is more philosopy, simplicity with careful and skilled detail.
      The beach here is Hythe - only a little sandy when the tide is a long, long way out!
      Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment here - I always love to read them and I do my best to reply to them all, either here or by email.